Vision care can have a profound effect on the health and quality of life of residents of long term care facilities:
- The ability to perform activities of daily living is highly correlated to vision.
- Virtually all residents have at least one eye problem, with over half having two or more problems.
- Visual impairment is 13 to 15 times more common among nursing facility residents than others the same age.
- Studies have found that 20% to 40% of residents showed marked improvement in vision after a complete eye examination.
- An eye examination can provide early detection of some general health issues.